505 Blue Ball Rd. #160
Elkton, MD 21921
Cementitious Waterproofing & Protective Coating
CSI Div. 07
07 16 13 POLYMER MODIFIED CEMENT WATERPROOFING
Physical and Technical Data
Gray or White
88 lb/ft3 (1.4 kg/L) dry;
116 lb/ft3 (1.85 kg/L) wet
0% (0 g/L)
AQUAFIN-1K is a cement-based, polymer modified, waterproof coating.
Mixed with water it forms a dense, rigid surface barrier. It consists of
portland cement, well graded quartz sand and polymer enhanced
~2 to 4 hours at 68°F (20°C)
4,000 psi (27.6 MPa) @ 28
days. Gray and White
EN 196/1 ASTM C348 modified
300 psi (2.07 MPa) @ 28
days. Gray and White
• Concrete, brick and block foundations and retaining walls
• As a waterproof coating for potable water and open wastewater tanks
• Applied interior/exterior, above or below grade, positive or negative
water pressure side.
• Base coat for AQUAFIN-2K/M
Shrinkage: ASTM C596
28 days: -0.014%
Permeance - ASTM E96
Permeance: 8 perms
(untreated control: 10 perms)
Potable water certified: NSF/ANSI
Standard 61 by WQA
For a copy of approval go to
Permeability: +/- side water head.
DIN 1048 sample 80 mils (2.0 mm)
No water ingress with: 50 ft
(15 m) (1.5 bar) hydrostatic
MR Credit 5.1, Regional Materials:……....... ..................Up to 2 Points
IEQ Credit 4.2, Low-Emitting Materials, Paints and Coatings:.....1 Point.
Using this AQUAFIN product can help contribute to LEED certification of projects in the
categories shown above.
• One-Component, just mix with water
• Stand-alone coating or in combination with AQUAFIN-2K/M
• Polymer modified
• Potable water certified as per NSF/ANSI Standard 61
• Resists strong hydrostatic pressure
• Not a vapor barrier - lets concrete “breathe”
• Excellent freeze/thaw resistance
• Can be applied to moist concrete/substrate
• Non flammable - no odor - non toxic.
The substrate must be structurally sound, free of any loose or deteriorated
concrete, dirt, dust, grease, oil, sealers, curing compounds and all other
• Stop active water leaks using MORTAR-PLUG before application of
• Mechanically prepare surfaces to achieve a surface profile equal
to CSP 3-5 as per ICRI Guideline No. 310.2R-13, Selecting and
Specifying Concrete Surface Preparation for Sealers, Coatings, Polymer
Overlays, and Concrete Repair.
• Properly clean profiled area by water-blasting. All surfaces must be
saturated surface dry (SSD) but with no standing water, immediately
prior to application.
• Repair static cracks and spalled concrete using MORTAR-LN or
• Form coves 1.5” x 1.5” (38 x 38 mm) at floor - wall joints using
Check our website for the latest version of the Technical Data Sheet.
All data are averages of several tests under laboratory conditions. In practice, climatic
variations such as temperature, humidity and porosity of substrate may affect these values.
Consumption & Yield of 50 lb (22.7 kg) bag
thickness (2 coats)
(wet film) inch mils (mm)
1/16” 60 ( 1.6 )
4.6 ( 2.5 )
98 ( 9.1 )
1/10” 100 ( 2.5 )
7.4 ( 4.0 )
60 ( 5.6 )
All above values theoretical. Variations may apply due to substrate conditions.
Thickness per application or lift, up to 50 mils (1.25 mm).
• Pre-water the substrate extremely well with clean water. Pay particular
attention to substrates with excessive absorption such as CMU-block
walls and any substrate during hot/windy conditions.
Approximate mixing ratio (by volume) is: 5 parts powder to 2 parts water
or 50 lb powder to 1.6 - 1.7 gal water (22.7 kg to 6.0 - 6.4 L) (Spray
application up to 2.0 gal (7.6 L).). Add the AQUAFIN-1K powder to water
and mix for at least 3 minutes with a mechanical mixer to a creamy slurry
consistency for brush or broom and to a pumpable consistency for spray
Page 1 of 2
• Protect application from direct sun and wind to prevent premature
surface drying and shrinkage cracks.
• Apply material in 2 (two) coats minimum.
• All surfaces must be saturated surface dry (SSD) but with no standing
water, immediately prior to application. Free surface water can inhibit
bonding and weaken the coating.
• Apply using a tampico fibered brush, broom or masonry brush, broom
or appropriate compressed-air spray equipment such as hopper gun,
peristaltic pump (i.e. Quikspray carrousel pump) or rotor-stator pump (i.e.
Hy-Flex “Spray Buddy”). Do not use roller.
• Application thickness per coat maximum 50 mils (1.25 mm) in areas
exposed to the elements.
• Apply the second coat as soon as the first coat has set, but still ”green“.
(Normally 4 - 6 hrs. indoors at 68°F (20°C), 60% rH.)
• AQUAFIN-1K can be left as a brushed finish, or it can be troweled up
by a skilled plasterer to a relatively smooth cementitious finish.
• Do not use AQUAFIN-1K in areas exposed to “soft” water.
• Do not apply to frozen or frost filled surfaces or at temperatures below
40°F (5°C)within 24 hours after application.
• Protect from rain for 4 hrs. for vertical surfaces, and 8 hrs. for horizontal
• Protect from wind and direct sunlight during application.
• Protect from foot traffic for a minimum 24 hours.
• Do not expose to hydrostatic pressure for approx. 7 days
• Do not back fill for 3 days
• Do not top coat with AQUAFIN-2K/M for 24 hrs. minimum.
• Protect and seal alkali sensitive metal substrates such as copper,
aluminum, galvanized or zinc treated metal with a primer (i.e. KRYLON
Primer, or equal) prior to applying (over-coating) AQUAFIN-1K.
Keep moist for at least 3 days in hot and/or dry environments and 7
days for use in contact with potable water. Provide air circulation for 24
hrs. following the AQUAFIN-1K treatment in poorly ventilated areas and
deep pits, etc. Stagnant air will prolong the setting time and/or proper
hardening. Use de-humidifiers in indoor areas where condensation exists
or appears until AQUAFIN-1K has properly set. During winter time, do not
use un-controlled direct air blowing gas or oil heaters to keep air warm.
Clean tools and equipment with water immediately after use. Cured
material can only be removed mechanically.
Decoration & Tiling:
AQUAFIN-1K is waterproof and highly vapor permeable (lets the concrete
“breathe”). The surface should be cleaned with a stiff, dry brush prior
to painting or coating. Vapor permeable, alkali resistant paints can be
applied after 3 days provided that the AQUAFIN treatment is dry. Tile
mortars can be applied after 3 days.
Installer is responsible for proper product application. Site visits by Aquafin
personnel or representatives are solely for the purpose of making technical
recommendations, not for providing supervision or quality control.
Refer to SDS.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
LIMITED WARRANTY: AQUAFIN, INC. warrants this product for a period
of one year from the date of installation to be manufactured free of defects
and to be consistent with its technical properties as stated in our current
Technical Data Sheet. This product must be used as directed and within its
stated shelf life. AQUAFIN, INC. will replace or at our discretion refund the
purchase price of any product, excluding cost of labor, which is proven to be
defective. Our product recommendations are based on industry standards
and testing procedures. It is the buyer’s obligation to test the suitability of
the product for an intended use prior to using it. We assume no warranties
written, expressed or implied as to any specific methods of application or
use of the product. AQUAFIN, INC. MAKES NO WARRANTY AS TO
MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
THIS WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES EXPRESSED
OR IMPLIED. AQUAFIN, INC. shall not be liable for damages of any sort
including remote or consequential damages, down time, or delay. Any
claim for a defective product must be filed within 30 days of discovery of a
problem, and must be submitted with written proof of purchase.
For Professional Use Only.
AQUAFIN-1K (gray or white) is supplied in 50 lbs. (22.7 kg) bags or pails.
Storage and Shelf Life:
AQUAFIN-1K must be stored in a dry enclosed area off the ground. Shelf
life in unopened, undamaged bags is 12 months.
NSF/ANSI Standard 61
see www.wqa.org for use restrictions
Check our website for the latest version of the Technical Data Sheet. Only the current version is legally binding and only for the intended market. In cases of uncertainty contact
our technical department for further information before starting any applications.
Page 2 of 2