505 Blue Ball Rd. #160
Elkton, MD 21921
Corrosion Resistant Repairing & Lining Mortar
CSI Div. 03
03 01 30 Maintenance of Cast-in-Place Concrete
Aggregate State: Powder
Color: Concrete Gray
~130 lb/ft3 (~2.1 kg/dm3)
MR Credit 5.1, Regional Materials..........................Up to 2 Points
IEQ Credit 4.2, L ow-Emitting Materials Paints and Coatings...1 Point
Compressive Strength: ASTM C-109
28 Days: >6000 psi (>41MPa)
Using this AQUAFIN product can help contribute to LEED certification of projects in the
categories shown above.
Flexural Strength: ASTM C-383
28 Days: >1000 psi (>7 MPa)
Bond Strength: ASTM C-321
28 Days: >220 psi (>1.5 MPa)
MORTAR-CA is a factory blended, cementitious, one-component, surface
lining and waterproof repair and resurfacing mortar. It consists of calcium
aluminate cement, well-graded, acid resistant, siliceous aggregates
and special chemicals of an inorganic, hydrophobic (water repellent)
nature which resist strong hydrostatic pressure (positive and negative side
Shrinkage: ASTM C-596
28 Days: 0.01%
Water Permeablity: At 1/2” (12mm)
thickness DIN 1046
No measurable leakage up
to 230 ft (70m) head pressure
Approximately 30 minutes
MORTAR-CA is a special formulation providing structural integrity and
protecting concrete, masonry and brick substrates against biogenic
corrosion in strong hydrogen sulfide gas (H2S) environments.
The absence of fibers in MORTAR-CA guarantees it will prevent water
infiltration or exfiltration in sewer manholes or tank structures at minimum
thickness of 3/8“ (10 mm).
Packaging & Approx. Yield: 50 lb (22.7 kg) bags.
• 0.42 ft3 (0.012 m3) or
• 9 ft2 (0.9 m2 ) at 1/2” (12.7 mm) thickness..
• Horizonal and vertical applications to concrete, masonry and brick by
troweling or low pressure spraying (wet guniting).
Especially suited for the rehabilitation of:
• Sewer Manholes
• Sewage treatment tanks
• Sewer lift stations
• Large diameter trunk lines
• Highly corrosion resistant
• Resists strong hydrostatic pressure - prevents infiltraton and/or
exfiltration - no need for vacuum testing in manholes
• Resists abrasion and mechanical wear.
• Forms a protective membrane barrier with no pinholes
• Easy to use - needs only to be mixed with water
• Applied to the positive or negative water pressure side of a structure
• Applied to damp substrate
• Non flammable
• No odor - No Fumes - Environmentally friendly
• Concrete surfaces must be structurally sound, free of any loose or
deteriorated concrete, dirt, dust, grease, oil, sealers, curing compounds
and all other bond-inhibiting materials.
• Mechanically prepare surfaces to achieve a surface profile equal
to CSP 5-7 as per ICRI Guideline No. 310.2R-13, Selecting and
Specifying Concrete Surface Preparation for Sealers, Coatings, Polymer
Check our website for the latest version of the Technical Datasheet.
All data are averages of several tests under laboratory conditions. In practice, climatic
variations such as temperature and humidity may affect these values.
Storage and Shelf Life:
12 months when stored dry in the original, unopened packaging.
Overlays, and Concrete Repair.
• Properly clean profiled area by water-blasting. All surfaces must be
saturated surface dry (SSD) but with no standing water, immediately
prior to application.
• Repair areas must have saw cut straight edges with a minimum 3/8” (10
mm) depth as per ICRI Guideline 310.1R – 2008, Guide for Surface
Preparation for the Repair of Deteriorated Concrete Resulting from
Reinforcing Steel Corrosion
• Only proceed with application when the temperatures remain between
40°F and 90°F (4°C and 32°C) and protect from freezing for
24 hours after application. For temperatures above 85°F (29°C),
follow ACI hot-weather application guidelines to ensure a successful
• All exposed steel must be mechanically cleaned to a white metal finish
and primed with 2 coats (20 mils per coat) of Aquafin REBAR/PRIMER
• Concrete should be primed with a spray or brush coat of Aquafin
Rebar/Primer Bond CI. Alternately, an SSD concrete substrate can be
primed with a scrub coat of Mortar-CA. Do not allow scrub coat to dry
before completing repair.
0.7 - 0.9 gallon water per 50-lb. bag.
(2.7 - 3.2 L water to 22.7 kg powder).
Precondition MORTAR-CA to ~70°F (21°C) prior to mixing.
Page 1 of 2
• For best results, mechanically mix at slow speed with a 3/4” (20 mm)
drill and “Jiffy” mixing paddle. Use a paddle type mortar mixer for large
• Add the appropriate amount of potable water into a clean mixing
bucket. Gradually add powder 1/3 at a time while mixing continuously.
• Mix at slow speeds to prevent entraining air for a minimum of 3 minutes
or until a lump-free consistency is achieved.
• Adjust water using small quantities until proper consistency is achieved.
NOTE: Due to the MORTAR-CA hydrophobic characteristics, it takes up
to 30 (thirty) seconds for mixing water to combine with the dry powder
DO NOT OVERWATER! If too much water is added, the mixture tends
to segregate resulting in uneven surface strengths. Surfaces with reduced
strength must be removed mechanically.
• Store material at temperatures between 55°F – 90°F (10°C - 32°C)
• Protect from freezing for 24 hours after application.
• Always re-establish expansion and control joints when using this product.
• Do not use as a structural repair mortar. Contact Aquafin Technical
Department for proper recommendations.
NOTE: Do not lubricate spray hoses and equipment with regular cement
slurry. MORTAR-CA may instantly set and harden as a result.
Do not apply MORTAR-CA at temperatures below 40°F (5°C). At high
temperatures faster setting is possible. This product is not recommended
for use in expansion or contraction joints. Read all instructions thoroughly
prior to installation.
Refer to SDS. This product contains portland cement and sand
(crystalline silica) and is highly alkaline (irritant) in contact with water. Avoid
breathing dust. May cause delayed lung injury (silicosis). Use rubber
gloves and goggles during mixing and application. Protect skin and eyes.
After contact with skin, wash with plenty of water. In case of eye contact,
rinse immediately with plenty of cool water and seek medical advice.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
Cracks/Reglets (seal strips)/Tie holes/Faulty construction joints/
Brick mortar joints:
• Fill prepared cavity flush to surface with MORTAR- CA.
Spalled and honeycombed areas:
• Apply in thick mortar consistency to required profile.
• Apply in lifts from min. 1/4” to max. 1/2” (6 - 12 mm) as required.
• Leave surface rough for subsequent layers or surface treatments to bond.
Lining/ Surface Applications:
• Horizontal: Pour MORTAR-CA in one working cycle at 1/4” to max.
1/2” (6 - 12 mm) over horizontal surfaces, then compact and strike off.
• Vertical and/or overhead: Apply MORTAR- CA to desired surfaces
in a parge (stucco) coat by trowel or suitable mortar spray (gunite)
equipment in single lift of 1/4” to max. 1/2” (6 - 12 mm) depending on
substrate condition. Apply a scratch coat first when troweling.
• Multiple lifts: Can be carried out as soon as the underlying lift has set
(~5−6 hrs). Underlying surface should be screeded and left open
textured for mechanical bond and maximum intercoat adhesion of next
layer or top coating.
• Surface finish: Final layer may be troweled smooth/flat, broomed to
increase non-skid quality, or sprayed with orange peel texture.
• Top coating: Where specified or desired AQUAFIN coating can be
applied as soon as MORTAR-CA has set (~1−2 hours). Subsequent
coatings such as paint or epoxies can be applied after the curing
Promptly wash hands and tools with water before material hardens. Cured
material must be removed mechanically.
Installer is responsible for proper product application. Site visits by Aquafin
personnel or representatives are solely for the purpose of making technical
recommendations, not for providing supervision or quality control.
LIMITED WARRANTY: AQUAFIN, INC. warrants this product for a
period of one year from the date of installation to be manufactured free of
defects and to be consistent with its technical properties as stated in our
current Technical Data Sheet. This product must be used as directed and
within its stated shelf life. AQUAFIN INC. will replace or at our discretion
refund the purchase price of any product, excluding cost of labor, which
is proven to be defective. Our product recommendations are based on
industry standards and testing procedures. It is the buyer’s obligation to
test the suitability of the product for an intended use prior to using it. We
assume no warranties written, expressed or implied as to any specific
methods of application or use of the product. AQUAFIN INC. MAKES
NO WARRANTY AS TO MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND THIS WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER
WARRANTIES EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. AQUAFIN, INC. shall not be liable
for damages of any sort including remote or consequential damages, down
time, or delay. Any claim for a defectiveproduct must be filed within 30
days of discovery of a problem, and must be submitted with written proof of
For Professional Use Only.
Curing is required as per ACI recommendations for portland cement
concrete. Moist cure using wet burlap, polyethylene, a fine mist of water or
with approved water based curing compound. NOTE: Curing compounds
may adversely affect following lifts of mortar or protective coatings.
• Do not use below 40°F (4°C) or over 90°F (32°C)
• Do not extend with additional aggregate.
• Do not add accelerators, retarders, or any additional admixture.
• Do not use solvent based curing compounds.
Check our website for the latest version of the Technical Datasheet. Only the current version is legally binding - and only for the intended market. In cases of uncertainty contact
our technical department for further information before starting any applications.
Page 2 of 2