505 Blue Ball Rd. #160
Elkton, MD 21921
One-part, polymer-modified, waterproof lining mortar
CSI Div. 03
03 01 30.61 Resurfacing Cast-in-Place Concrete
Physical and Technical Data
~100 lb/ft³ (~1.6 kg/dm³)
24 hrs.: 700 psi
3 days: 2100
7 days: 4700 psi
28 days: 6000 psi
24 hrs.: 30 psi
3 days: 620
7 days: 870 psi
28 days: 1160 psi
28 days: 0.023%
Adhesion: ASTM C-321
28 days: >220 psi (>1.5 MPa)
Water Permeability: control
LN @ 1/8” thickness
LN @ 1/8” thickness
1.58 x 10-7 cm/s @ 3 d
3.60 x 10-9 cm/s @ 3 d
2.36 x 10-10 cm/s @ 28 d
Approx. 30 minutes
Approx. 5−6 hours
Potable water certified:
NSF/ANSI 61: www.wqa.org
MR Credit 5.1, Regional Materials..........................Up to 2 Points
IEQ Credit 4.2, Low-Emitting Materials Paints and Coatings...1 Point
Using this AQUAFIN product can help contribute to LEED certification of projects in the
categories shown above.
MORTAR-LN is a cementitious, inorganic, one component, ready-mixed,
surface lining waterproof barrier mortar with hydrophobic (water repellent)
properties. MORTAR-LN prevents water infiltration or exfiltration through the
• Horizontal, vertical and overhead applications to concrete, masonry
and brick by troweling or spraying (guniting), to new or old structures
• Repairing and reprofiling of spalled and honey combed surfaces
• Patching and filling of routed out cracks, faulty construction joints and
sealing of tie holes
• Installation of seal strips (reglets and fillets/coves) at floor/wall joints
• Slow Setting
• Waterproof/Water impermeable
• NSF/ANSI Standard 61 potable water certified (www.wqa.org)
• Horizontal - Vertical - Overhead
• Resists hydrostatic pressure
• Applied to damp (moist) substrates
• Applied to the positive or negative water pressure side of a structure
• Not a vapor barrier, lets substrate “breathe”
• Easy to use -- needs only to be mixed with water
• Applied by glove pointing, trowel or low pressure air-spraying (guniting)
• No odor -- No fumes -- Environmentally friendly
• Concrete surfaces must be structurally sound, free of any loose or
deteriorated concrete, dirt, dust, grease, oil, sealers, curing compounds
and all other bond-inhibiting materials.
• Mechanically prepare surfaces to achieve a surface profile equal
to CSP 5-7 as per ICRI Guideline No. 310.2R-13, Selecting and
Specifying Concrete Surface Preparation for Sealers, Coatings, Polymer
Overlays, and Concrete Repair.
• Properly clean profiled area by water-blasting. All surfaces must be
saturated surface dry (SSD) but with no standing water, immediately
prior to application.
• Only proceed with application when the temperatures remain between
40°F and 90°F (4°C and 32°C) and protect from freezing for
24 hours after application. For temperatures above 85°F (29°C),
follow ACI hot-weather application guidelines to ensure a successful
Check our website for the latest version of the Technical Datasheet.
psi (234 ft. head pressure) positive side
Consumption & Yield of 50 lb (22.7 kg) bag
PATCHING AND REPAIR
Cracks, U Shape
Reglets (seal strips) 1x1
Approximately 0.42 ft3 (0.012 m3) / bag
LINING (PARGING), SEALING AND WATERPROOFING
~Yield / bag
minimum 1/8” (3)
All data are average values obtained under laboratory conditions. In practical use
temperature, humidity and absorbency of the substrate may influence the above given values
Page 1 of 2
(updated 02/18/19 SM-BE)
• Active water leakages must be stopped with AQUAFIN MORTAR-PLUG.
Chemical grout may be required where severe water infiltration exists
• Cracks should be routed out to a U-shaped configuration, appx. ¾”
(20 mm) wide and a minimum of 1” (25 mm) deep
• Tie holes should be roughened prior to filling
Mixing Ratio: 0.8 - 1.1 gallon water per 50-lb. bag.
(3.0 - 4.1 L water to 22.7 kg powder)
Precondition MORTAR-LN to ~70°F (21°C) prior to mixing.
• For best results, mechanically mix at slow speed with a 3/4” (20 mm)
drill and “Jiffy” mixing paddle. Use a paddle type mortar mixer for large
• Add the appropriate amount of potable water into a clean mixing
bucket. Gradually add powder 1/3 at a time while mixing continuously.
• Mix at slow speeds to prevent entraining air for a minimum of 3 minutes
or until a lump-free consistency is achieved.
• Adjust water using small quantities until proper consistency is achieved.
NOTE: Due to the MORTAR-LN hydrophobic characteristics, it takes up to
30 (thirty) seconds for mixing water to combine with the dry powder mix.
DO NOT OVERWATER! If too much water is added, the mixture tends
to segregate resulting in uneven surface strengths. Surfaces with reduced
strength must be removed mechanically.
Do not apply MORTAR-LN at temperatures below 40°F (5°C). At high
temperatures faster setting is possible. This product is not recommended for
use in expansion or contraction joints. Read all instructions thoroughly prior
Cracks/Reglets (seal strips)/Tie holes/Faulty construction joints/ Brickmortar joints:
• Fill prepared cavity flush to surface with MORTAR- LN.
• For added protection prime cavity surface with AQUAFIN-1K.
Spalled and honeycombed areas:
• Apply in thick mortar consistency to required profile.
• Apply in lifts from min. 1/8” to max. 1” (3 - 25 mm) as required.
• Leave surface rough for subsequent layers or surface treatments to bond.
Lining/ Surface Applications:
• Horizontal: Pour MORTAR-LN in one working cycle at 1/4” - 1” (6 - 25
mm) over horizontal surfaces, then compact and strike off.
• Vertical and/or overhead: Apply MORTAR- LN to desired surfaces
in a parge (stucco) coat by trowel or suitable mortar spray (gunite)
equipment in single lift of 1/8” - 1” (3 - 25 mm) depending on substrate
condition. Apply a scratch coat first when troweling
• Multiple lifts: Can be carried out as soon as the underlying lift has set
(~5−6 hrs). Underlying surface should be screeded and left open
textured for mechanical bond and maximum intercoat adhesion of next
layer or top coating.
Surface finish: Final layer may be troweled smooth/flat, broomed to
increase non-skid quality, or sprayed with orange peel texture.
Top coating: Where specified or desired AQUAFIN-IC, 1K or 2K/M can
be applied as soon as MORTAR-LN has set (~5−6 hours). Subsequent
coatings such as paint or epoxies can be applied after the curing period.
Before material hardens, thoroughly clean tools with water after use.
Curing is required as per ACI recommendations for portland cement
concrete. Moist cure using wet burlap, polyethylene, a fine mist of water or
with approved water based curing compound. NOTE: Curing compounds
may adversely affect following lifts of mortar or protective coatings.
• Do not use below 40°F (4°C) or over 90°F (32°C)
• Do not extend with additional aggregate.
• Do not add accelerators, retarders, or any additional admixture.
• Do not use solvent based curing compounds.
• Store material at temperatures between 55°F – 90°F (10°C - 32°C)
• Protect from freezing for 24 hours after application.
• Always re-establish expansion and control joints when using this product.
• Do not use as a structural repair mortar. Contact Aquafin Technical
Department for proper recommendations.
Storage, Shelf Life & Packaging:
12 months when stored dry in the original, unopened 50 lb. (22.7 kg)
Installer is responsible for proper product application. Site visits by Aquafin
personnel or representatives are solely for the purpose of making technical
recommendations, not for providing supervision or quality control.
Refer to SDS. This product contains portland cement and sand
(crystalline silica) and is highly alkaline (irritant) in contact with water. Avoid
breathing dust. May cause delayed lung injury (silicosis). Use rubber
gloves and goggles during mixing and application. Protect skin and eyes.
After contact with skin, wash with plenty of water. In case of eye contact,
rinse immediately with plenty of cool water and seek medical advice.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
LIMITED WARRANTY: AQUAFIN, INC. warrants this product for a
period of one year from the date of installation to be manufactured free of
defects and to be consistent with its technical properties as stated in our
current Technical Data Sheet. This product must be used as directed and
within its stated shelf life. AQUAFIN INC. will replace or at our discretion
refund the purchase price of any product, excluding cost of labor, which
is proven to be defective. Our product recommendations are based on
industry standards and testing procedures. It is the buyer’s obligation to
test the suitability of the product for an intended use prior to using it. We
assume no warranties written, expressed or implied as to any specific
methods of application or use of the product. AQUAFIN INC. MAKES
NO WARRANTY AS TO MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND THIS WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER
WARRANTIES EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. AQUAFIN, INC. shall not be liable
for damages of any sort including remote or consequential damages, down
time, or delay. Any claim for a defectiveproduct must be filed within 30
days of discovery of a problem, and must be submitted with written proof of
For Professional Use Only.
NSF/ANSI Standard 61
see www.wqa.org for use restrictions
Check our website for the latest version of the Technical Datasheet. Only the current version is legally binding - and only for the intended market. In cases of uncertainty contact
our technical department for further information before starting any applications.
Page 2 of 2
(updated 02/18/19 SM-BE)