505 Blue Ball Rd. #160
Elkton, MD 21921
Fiber-reinforced, polymer-modiﬁed, corrosion inhibitor and silica fume enhanced concrete screed
and repair mortar
CSI Div. 03
03 01 30 Maintenance of Cast-in-Place Concrete
MR Credit 5.1, Regional Materials..........................Up to 2 Points
IEQ Credit 4.2, Low-Emitting Materials Paints and Coatings...1 Point
Flame Spread: 0
Fuel Contribution: 0
Smoke Development: 0
Using this AQUAFIN product can help contribute to LEED certification of projects in the
categories shown above.
MORTAR-Screed CI is a one-component, fiber-reinforced, polymermodified, corrosion inhibitor and silica fume enhanced repair mortar. It
is designed for use as a concrete screed or repair mortar at depths of
3/8” – 6” (10 mm – 152 mm). This product offers normal set times and a
mid-range slump for easy workability.
• Interior and exterior horizontal concrete slabs
• Balconies, sidewalks, curbs, parking decks and ramps
• To level concrete surfaces
• Deteriorated joint edges
• Can be used as a separation screed
• For overlays up to 5” (127 mm) neat
• For screed repairs up to 6” (152 mm) neat w/min. #4 bar
• Fiber-reinforced and polymer-modified
• No shrinkage when properly cured
• Corrosion inhibitor and silica fume enhanced
• One-component - just add water
• Accelerated cure - allows for installation of moisture sensitive toppings
within 12 hours.
• Excellent bond to properly prepared concrete
• Concrete surfaces must be structurally sound, free of any loose or
deteriorated concrete, dirt, dust, grease, oil, sealers, curing compounds
and all other bond-inhibiting materials.
• Mechanically prepare surfaces to achieve a surface profile equal to
CSP 5 - 7 as per ICRI Guideline No. 310.2R-13.
• Properly clean profiled area by water-blasting. All surfaces must be
saturated surface dry (SSD) but with no standing water, immediately
prior to application.
• Repair areas must have saw cut straight edges with a minimum 3/8” (10
mm) depth as per ICRI Guideline 310.1R – 2008.
Steel: All exposed steel must be mechanically cleaned to a white metal
finish and primed with 2 coats (20 mils per coat) of Aquafin’s REBAR
Concrete: Must be primed with scrub coat of MORTAR-Screed CI. Do not
Check our website for the latest version of the Technical Datasheet.
MORTAR-Screed CI Mixed
Mix ratio (water:powder)
2.5 – 2.75 qts. (2.4 – 2.6 L) : 50 lb
Application temp. range
40°F to 90°F (4°C to 32°C)
45 - 60 minutes
Physical Properties: The values stated are applicable with ambient
temperatures of 73°F (23°C) and 50% relative air humidity. Higher
temperatures shorten the processing time and lower temperatures
extend processing times.
2,500 psi after 24 hours
4,000 psi after 7 days
6,000 psi after 28 days
Slant Shear Bond Strength
440 psi after 24 hours
1,500 psi after 28 days
1,000 psi @ 28 days
+0.007% @ 28 days wet cure
Approximate yield per 50 lb. bag: 0.40 cubic ft.
3/8” (9.5 mm)
13 ft2 (1.2 m2)
1/2” (12.7 mm)
10 ft2 (0.92 m2)
1” (25.4 mm)
5 ft2 (0.46 m2)
allow scrub coat to dry before completing repair. Alternately, can be
primed with a spray or brush coat of REBAR PRIMER/BOND-CI
Mixing Ratio: 2.5 – 2.75 qts. (2.4 – 2.6 L) water per 50 lb. bag.
(yield is approx .40 cu.ft. at 2.5 qts water and 2.75 qts water)
• For best results, mechanically mix at slow speed with a 3/4” drill
and “eggbeater” style mixing paddle. Use a paddle type mortar
mixer for large jobs.
• Add the appropriate amount of potable water into a clean mixing
bucket. Gradually add powder while mixing continuously.
• Mix at slow speeds to prevent entraining air for a minimum of 3
minutes until a lump-free consistency is achieved.
Page 1 of 2
(updated 02/23/21 - EKVB)
• Only mix enough material that can be placed within 30 - 45 minutes.
DO NOT OVERWATER! If too much water is added, the mixture will
segregate resulting in uneven surface strengths. Surfaces with reduced
strength must be removed mechanically.
Read all instructions thoroughly prior to installation.
1. Only proceed with application when the temperatures remain between
40°F and 90°F (4°C and 32°C) and protect from freezing for
24 hours after application. For temperatures above 85°F (29°C),
follow ACI hot-weather application guidelines to ensure a successful
2. Immediately after mixing, place MORTAR-Screed CI onto the surface
area and work it into the substrate to obtain a mechanical bond.
Spread with a trowel, comealong concrete rake or screed to a
thickness that matches pre-set elevation points. On large areas, use
screed strips or forms. Screed to level with hand held straightedge or
3. Finish material to desired finish texture (can be power troweled).
4. MORTAR-Screed CI can be placed in lifts up to 6“ (152 mm) when
used in situations where rebar matting/rebar cage configurations meet
ASTM, ACI and ICRI Guidelines (Minimum #4 bar - upper and lower
5. Follow ACI guidelines for hot and cold weather concreting.
6. Protect from freezing for 24 hours after application.
7. Always re-establish expansion and control joints when using this product.
Refer to SDS.
LIMITED WARRANTY: AQUAFIN, INC. warrants this product for a period of one year from
the date of installation to be manufactured free of defects and to be consistent with its technical
properties as stated in our current Technical Data Sheet. This product must be used as directed
and within its stated shelf life. AQUAFIN INC. will replace or at our discretion refund the
purchase price of any product, excluding cost of labor, which is proven to be defective. Our
product recommendations are based on industry standards and testing procedures. It is the
buyer’s obligation to test the suitability of the product for an intended use prior to using it. We
assume no warranties written, expressed or implied as to any specific methods of application or
use of the product. AQUAFIN INC. MAKES NO WARRANTY AS TO MERCHANTABILITY OR
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND THIS WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER
WARRANTIES EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. AQUAFIN, INC. shall not be liable for damages of any
sort including remote or consequential damages, down time, or delay. Any claim for a defective
product must be filed within 30 days of discovery of a problem, and must be submitted with
written proof of purchase.
For Professional Use Only.
Clean all tools and equipment with water prior to the material hardening.
Cured material must be removed mechanically.
Begin curing as soon as the material has set by keeping surface moist as
per ACI recommendations for portland cement concrete, using burlap,
polyethylene or a fine mist of water. If this is not practical, then coat with
approved water based curing compound.
• Do not use solvent based curing compounds.
• Do not add cement or any admixtures to material.
• Do not extend with additional aggregate.
• Do not featheredge.
Storage & Shelf Life:
Store in a cool dry area. Shelf life is 12 months in original, unopened
50 lb. (22.7 kg) bags
Installer is responsible for proper product application. Site visits by Aquafin
personnel or representatives are solely for the purpose of making technical
recommendations, not for providing supervision or quality control.
Check our website for the latest version of the Technical Data Sheet. Only the current version is legally binding and only for the intended market. In cases of uncertainty contact
our technical department for further information before starting any applications.
Page 2 of 2
(updated 02/23/21 - EKVB)